Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Mission? To help parents, teachers, librarians and publishers find quality interactive media/technology products for children birth to 15 years.
- Who owns Children’s Technology Review? Active Learning Associates, Inc., a privately-held corporation located at 126 Main Street, Flemington, New Jersey, 08822, publishes Children’s Technology Review. Warren Buckleitner is the Founder and Editor.
- What is the correct name? It has changed with the technology. The first issue was printed in 1993 under the masthead "Children’s Software Revue." In April 2005, " & New Media" was added to the title. In 2005, the title was again changed to "Children’s Technology Review," which is the current and formal name.
- Do you sell subscriber information? Absolutely not. We do not release subscriber names to outside parties, and we have no interest in doing so. We do use email and/or address information to deliver billing and renewal notices no more than twice per year. Please see our disclaimer for details and other legal and copyright information.
- Do you review video games? Yes. We review all forms of interactive media of interest to children, ages birth to 15.
- How long has CTR been around? The first issue of CTR was published October 1993. The review database contains 13,000 reviews dating back to 1980.
- How do you avoid conflicts of interest? It is important for our readers to know about all sources of potential bias, and for us to fully disclose them. CTR contains no advertising, and CTR reviewers do not own stock, or serve as advisors or consultants for any company whose products we might review. See our editorial guidelines for more information.
- What happened to your monthly and weekly issues? As of January 2022 we stopped creating regular PDF issues. New reviews are added directly to the database.
- What products do you review? All interactive children’s media, including educational and entertainment CD-ROMs, children’s video games, apps, children’s Internet sites and smart toys (toys with interactive electronic capabilities). As educational psychologists, our expertise is in evaluating the quality of the interaction between the child and the experience.
- For what ages do you review? From birth to 15 years.
- Who assigns the ratings? Both children and experienced reviewers using CTR’s evaluation rubric.
- Why do you charge for access to parts of this site? Since we are not advertisement-driven, our income comes from our subscribers. We believe in providing you with the best, unbiased reviews that are available.
- How do I submit a product for review? Is there a charge? Use our online submission form. There is no charge.
- How can I get Children’s Technology Review? A CTR subscription costs $30/year, providing you with unlimited database access. You can order online and get instant database access or call 908-284-0404 from 9-3 EST. Site licenses are also available at $260/year to get access for your entire school or library with a custom URL for your organization.
If you have further questions that are not answered here, please email us at email@example.com or contact us.